Thursday, July 21, 2016

STEM TQ review, Pole Position, and QR CODES!

We are near the end of my experience at the STEM TQ workshop I've been attending for two weeks.  I have to tell you... this has been one of the most inspiring and uplifting things I have done for myself lately.  I was talking to my friend Nicole after taking this "St. Louis housed" workshop.  She said that she's attended the Teacher College training in New York, and she has to be honest: the trainers and expertise here exceeded even that of what she saw in New York!  I completely agree! The trainers were so knowledgeable, confident, easy to approach, and so very good at what they do!  I cannot believe the level of ability we saw here.  These are all St. Louis teachers, mentors, principals, and professors!  We have some of the best right here!  If your district gives you a chance to attend this wonderful workshop, you should RUN TO IT!  It will open up your eyes to the possibilities of STEM in your classroom.  It will make you believe that you are capable of reaching ALL OF YOUR KIDS.  It will inspire you to teach other teachers what you have learned.  You will not want to shut up about it because, quite frankly, it was a life-changing event.  So please find out if your school district can get the grant or funds for you to go.  It is more than worth it - I PROMISE!!!

Anyway, here are some of my take-aways from this week at STEM TQ:
  • I am not meant to be a surgeon or around any body parts of any kind.  
  • Pole Position Raceway is an awesome idea for a field trip for grades 6-8.  You should call and check into it!  They will go into force, motion, speed, traction, and more with your students!
This is Scott and I getting ready for our big race at Pole Position!
  • MakerSpace and engineering are things that will take place in my classroom this year!  Kids have to be more hands-on to know what they're capable of!  I will blog more about my makerspace/engineering ideas once I get them set up in my classroom!  You do not need fancy or expensive supplies to do MakerSpace or Engineering!
  • QR codes are awesome!  If you want to know what are QR codes and how you can use them in your classroom, go to QR CODES FOR BEGINNERS.  It will help you to gain an understanding.  I also made a new friend this week.  Her name is Delilah.  She teaches in my district and I've found she is a great resource for technology and creating things like QR codes.  Here's a link to her teachers pay teachers store so you can see some of her awesome creations! Delilah's TPT.  I am so glad I got to know new people this week!  Networking!!
Here are some QR code ideas or mental pictures:
From the site Bloglovin.com

From the site ipadsinschool

That's it for now guys!  I will post more as I start to get my classroom set up! Can't wait to meet my littles and get this year under way!

~PEACE
Shelly



No comments:

Post a Comment