Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Parent Night, Classroom tour, and some inspiration to teachers as we start our first day

Well, I've been back to work this week!  One word to describe me right now would be TIRED!  I told myself that I would try to be positive this school year and never say I'm "tired" anymore to define myself, but one of the best things about blogging is that I can be real - So let's be real... I'm super freaking tired - AND I HAVEN'T EVEN HAD KIDS YET!  I am so excited to see their faces in the morning, but because teachers work endless hours preparing, meeting, planning, looking over data, (the list goes on and on), by the time we ACTUALLY get our students - we're already worn out!!  Funny how that works!

Parent Night

Monday night this week was our back to school night - a night where students and families come to school to meet their teacher, drop off supplies, and learn all about what we do!
This is what our desks looked like for parent night!  I got the flipbook from parent flip book tpt on TPT.  :)
 


So. Many. Things. To. Put. AWAY.
Parent night is always quite overwhelming for a teacher because, all at the same time, there can be about 15-20 families in your room at one time trying to ask questions and put away supplies.  So many parents want me to know little things about their kids or have to tell me that they are not sitting in a good spot, need to be separated from a friend, need to use the restroom a lot, go home different ways each day, just went through a family divorce, or anything else random!  So, while trying to teach about curriculum, procedures, and homework, teachers are often bombarded with these oh so important things from families.   So, minus all the chaos, I would say my parent night ran smooth!  When they came in I had them pick up a paper to walk them through all the stations.
Here it is!
While parents looked through the parent folder and filled out some paperwork, I had something to keep the kids busy.  I decided to do this because last year I had kids drawing on my chart paper and throwing dice - so I was hoping to eliminate that! We decided to make name rainbows!  I thought it was a cute idea to have kids color and parents write positive things about their child.   Here's the website I got this from: tunstallsteachingtidbits.  I thought it was a really great idea for us to hang up in the room to remind kids of the kinds and true things that their parents wrote about them.  It also allowed me to get to know each student a little better.
Here's mine

I decided to hang them up when they were finished.
Parent night was so exciting!!!  I love seeing the looks on their faces when they are too excited to meet me or even so shy, but then they start to come around and talk to me!! :)  I also LOVE LOVE LOVE it when my old students come and visit me on this night.  It is THE BEST!  Melts my heart!

Classroom Tour

Here's a look at my 2016-2017 classroom.  I have kept the same "theme" as last year and the same colors.  I love turquoise and yellow with gray.  So my sunshine theme lives on! 
The hallway bulletin board






























Tomorrow is our first day.  I often get emotional thinking about my own personal children starting school.  I often think about how overwhelmed the beginning of the year can be, but teacher friends, I want to encourage you not to think about the hard parts of your job (because I know there are many!), but rather think of the immense impact you are going to make on these children.  They are moldable and true sponges.  They are looking to you to guide and teach them! Thinking of how parents feel when they drop their child off at school makes me realize how truly special they all are, and what a huge job we have.  We cannot let them down!!! We have to inspire, love, guide, and teach them!  I cannot wait to do that this year. 

My best wishes to all of you on your new school year!  Go. Inspire. Teach. Love. Smile. Take a nap. Get some coffee. And get out there! Do your thing!

<3
~ Shelly





No comments:

Post a Comment