Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Positive Note Wednesdays/ Math Assessments/ Vocab Wall/ Class update!!!


Positive Note Wednesdays:

So I've started something new this year to try and build morale and a good relationship with all of my students.  I've started taking the time to write little notes to them periodically to let them know how much I appreciate them, and how much I care about them.  I decided that every Wednesday morning I would put notes on one table's desks so they have something when they come in that day.  So far, the kids love it.  Some of them keep the note on their desk all day long, and some choose to take them home.  I can tell they appreciate my kind words and their face lights up when they walk in and they have a "special note" from Mrs. Trauterman.  "Can you read it to me??"  They automatically ask and bombard me as we walk in the door.  And, of course, I do :)



Math Assessments/ Groups


It's that time of year where all teachers start to think about the groups the students will be in and how we can differentiate all subjects throughout our day!  We often think of how to best meet our students' needs - whether it's in reading, writing, math, or spelling!  This week, I've been grading some math assessments, and I thought of a way to add the grade (standards based grading scores) to the front.
I just created a little post it with the goal printed.  Then I made a box for the score, and I added the score to the test.  I did this because I always try to write which skill I assess on every test, but it takes soooo long.  Have I ever mentioned how much I love printing on a post it?  It's my favorite!  My friend Rachel taught me how to do it when we were partners.  She's the best! <3.  Here's a link to the document so that you can use it to print on a post it too!  PRINT ON A POST IT.







Vocab Wall:


I learned about the idea of a vocab wall a couple of years ago during some building professional development (with my friend Nicole - She's the best too <3).  It made total sense to me to start putting the words from science and social studies that kids are expected to know up in the room so we can reference it periodically or they can spell those words or use them whenever needed.  Here's a look at our vocab wall.  I put all the science words in yellow and social studies words in blue. (Have I mentioned how much I love and use post its?!!?)



Our newest class update!

Here's some big news happening in first grade this week!!!
  • Sloan lost a tooth!  He got two golden coins from the tooth fairy! :)
  • Monday was Chris' birthday!  He's 7!!
  • Rainey is going out of town for the next two days and the weekend and she's so excited!
  • Zachary LOVES watching Wheel of Fortune every night!
  • Taylor, Emmett, and Chris moved up reading levels!
  • Gianna is an Author!  She loves to write stories every night at home.  She has her own stapler!
  • Austin went to the big St. Charles game and parade over the weekend for homecoming!
  • Lizzie got new glasses from Target.  They're for fashion!
  • Hunter lost a tooth today!
  • Alexi's sister goes to Maryville and she has SO much fun everyday.
Here's something to put a smile on your face.  Look at the cutest story Stephan wrote during writer's workshop!  He's the best :)
I especially love the illustrations. :)

That's all for now!

Peace
~Shelly

No comments:

Post a Comment