Saturday, September 3, 2016

The truth from the heart of a teacher at the beginning of the year



Hello blog world!  It's been a while.  I have every intention to keep up with blogging about my teaching life at least once a week.  I feel as if it is freeing and lets me get out my thoughts and stories about my days in the classroom.  I usually try to keep it positive on here and show all the cool things going on in first grade.  The last two weeks I have pondered and thought... pondered and thought... pondered and thought..... I wanted to blog, but my spirits have been low, things weren't working out in my classroom like I'd hoped, and I've been so exhausted after leaving.  So, today, I took a much needed trip to Starbucks, cleared my head, and thought to myself, "What am I supposed to blog about that is going great?"  Then I thought to myself - "SNAP OUT OF IT!!! JUST BE REAL."  So here is the real...

I have cried a number of times since school started.  Sundays are a day that brings me anxiety getting ready for the next day.  Flexible seating isn't working how I hoped.  Readers Workshop hasn't started like I hoped. Engineering and science haven't been as fun as I would have liked.    I have had some major bumps in the road.  I feel like a failure sometimes.  That is very real.  The beginning of the year is hard!  I think back over all the years  I've taught... No class is EVER the same as each other.  No group of kids will have the same habits or needs.  Some groups need the most love and a gentle hand.  Some groups make you get your "mom voice" out and that big-eyed look on your face ALL DAY (hint.. hint... #thisgroup).  But one thing I know for sure is this:  Every year, God gives me kids that he knows I am supposed to touch in one way or another.  Sometimes it's the kid that just lost his mom over the summer.  Sometimes it's the one who misses her mom because she got taken away from  her parents.  Sometimes it's the autistic boy who is obsessed with things.  Sometimes it's the girl who has little to no food in her home every night.  Sometimes it's the girl whose mom lives 14 hours away - which tears her apart every day.  Sometimes it's the kiddo who speaks little to no English.  Or sometimes it's the kiddo who has a stable home life, but needs extra special attention that she isn't getting at home.  No matter what the situation, I am there.  They are my kids.  I love them.  I will help them.  We will do great things together!

One thing that is going so great this year is our building morale.  We had some awesome professional development with our staff to start off the school year.  I feel supported.  I feel accepted.  I feel taken care of by all the awesome teachers, staff, and my principal at Lincoln.  Julie (our principal) seriously is the best.  She pushes us to be better every day.  She gives us clear expectations, and sticks to them.  She visits our classrooms regularly, and she gives meaningful feedback that is needed.  I am so blessed that I have that support team at Lincoln.  That is one of the things that makes Lincoln the best!  From the words of a bus driver giving new teachers a tour of the buildings this year:   "Lincoln has highest poverty and most diversity in the district, but also is the highest performing school in the district."  I have school pride!  Lincoln Rocks!

So to answer the question about flexible seating:  Yes we've started it.  Yes, we've tried out our new seating options....  AND YES I had to pull back the reigns a little lot because sometimes a little too much freedom is something kids cannot handle.  So, my plan is this:  We will get the bubble seats back out, try the new writing spots, get going on flexible seating as a class....... once we get the most important things in place in the classroom: STRUCTURE!! Kids all need structure in order to be successful, and this class is no exception! So stay tuned for the flexible seating stories coming up in first grade starting in about October or November.  I can assure you it won't be taking place anytime before then!

Now for some class updates!
We did some math explorations this week!  The kids love experimenting with math manipulatives.  Check out some of our designs!
Bella's Geobard Design!
Emmet's Pattern Block Design!

Stephen's pattern blocks design!

Hunter's Pattern block design!
Alexi's pattern block design!

Aubrey's pattern block design!

We also started our partner reading time.  I took some pictures of some awesome partner reading role models!
Alexi & Bella

Emmett & Stephen

Finn & Hunter

Austin & Aubrey

Class update!
Here's some of our biggest news of the week:
  • Christopher's mom and dad got married last weekend!!!
  • Lizzie lost a tooth!
  • Alexi wrote a whole story with a beginning, middle, and end!
  • Haven was the "mystery student" during counselor and he earned a prize!
  • Gavin wants to be Luke Skywalker for Halloween :)
  • It was Gianna's dad's birthday on Friday!
  • Finn had a scooter accident and scraped up his face :(
  • Zander moved :(
  • London got to see his new baby brother on an ultrasound!!
  • Mrs. Trauterman had a cold and barely a voice this week :(
  • Ms. Lafeber is getting married and she will be Mrs. Sullivan when she gets back!!
That's all for now!  Keep reading as our year unfolds.  I know it will be a GREAT YEAR!!!

PEACE
~Shelly




No comments:

Post a Comment