Sunday, August 20, 2017

Let it all begin! - Classroom reveal, beginning activities, Future Fridays, and a class update!

 WELCOME BACK!!! All my educator friends know that by the 8th day of school, it all starts to feel real.  You get in a groove with your new class.  I am loving my new first graders this year.  They are full of spunk and very very lovable.  I have enjoyed those moments when I am in mid-teaching sentence and my little guy Eli just comes up randomly to hug me and say "this is the best class ever" (💓💓 how can I get mad at that EVEN if he DID just interrupt me??😊)  Or my little Gracie who literally just wants a hug any chance she can get one!?  (Yes please!).  I love the unknown with them.  They are eating up every bit of first grade because there's still so much more they haven't learned about me and our room and how everything works.  There's a reason why I became a teacher, and my firsties this year remind me every day why I chose this job.  So, how about a classroom reveal?!

Classroom Reveal

I love to have an inspirational door that can last
the whole year. 
It is not a secret that I love to decorate my classroom.  I love how a nicely decorated room makes me feel and also makes my students feel.  Last summer, I wrote a blog post about classroom design and why it really does matter in a classroom.  Check it out HERE.  I know lots of educators feel that going out of your way to decorate a classroom really nice isn't necessary, and they're right.  It's not necessary in order to have a fully functional and prosperous year, but everything I do in my room is purposeful and I feel strongly that the things I have in place (color scheme, lighting options, seating options,  family photos, bulletin boards, etc) helps in a certain way for the kids.  Here's a look at my room this year.  You will notice my sunshine theme.  This is the third year I have had this decor.  I feel the colors really make the room cheerful and calm.  I got most of my classroom design printables and ideas from http://schoolgirlstyle.com/ 3 summers ago when I redid my room.  Check it out HERE!!
calendar area
blank boards for each subject to start the year.
Book boxes and my new "friends" Piggie, Gerald, and Pigeon!
Some of my new seating options and technology.

Classroom library area and word wall
New and improved interest library!

Class Yoga




I got these class yoga posters on TPT.  Click HERE to check them out.  I use Yoga as a brain break between reader's workshop and writer's workshop.  They have been loving it so far!









Leveled Library
Extra supplies/ word work materials

take home folder slots


💓

Word bird board - track sight word progress.

writer's workshop paper






If you want a link to those parent handbooks, I bought them from TPT last summer.  Click HERE to get them too!

Hallway bulletin board.

Odds and ends that we use for engineering/ makerspace

First days of school


We have had a great start to our year!  One of my favorite things we do at the beginning of the year is get to know each other.  This year, we did something called a "Show and Share".  I have an amazing teaching partner.  And I'm pretty sure she came up with this idea on her own.  We decided to have the kids bring in a family photo, and also their favorite book to share with the class.  Here's the letter we sent home for the families.


Here's a look at some of our kids showing off their families and sharing their favorite books.

Evelyn

Hunter
Eli


Phoenix
Lilith
Jackson


Ayva
C.J.
Chance

Gianna
Clara
Jackson
Gracie
Alexandria
Zoie


Alex
Toula
Kori
Autumn


I took their family photos and hung them around the room.  I thought it would make them feel more at "home" during the school year.


Future Friday!



This year, I decided to try something a little bit different for my students.  I have been through some very intensive STEM training through the STEM TQ institute partnering with Washington University for the past two years.  One of the big pushes for STEMcapable teachers is to let students see themselves in a role or career that they will one day pursue.  So many students do not see themselves in a STEM role for many reasons. Many times because there may not be people of their gender/race/identity that are in those positions in their lives, so they do not identify with those as being "capable careers" for them.  So my goal is to start FUTURE FRIDAY!  Every friday, the kids will fill out their "future friday" paper for morning work.

  Then we will BECOME that person for the day.  I made little name tags for them to wear for the day.


That way, when I call on them on the carpet I can say "Rockstar Kori" not just "Kori" or "Teacher Clara", not just "Clara".  I also used it as a behavior management tool.  I said things like, " Wow Chance! You are acting just like a builder would act because you are being a real problem solver right now!" or " Zoie, if you are going to be a soccer player, you have to never give up - just how you are not giving up on your writer's workshop story today."  "Alexandria is showing so much patience, just like she will need someday to be a babysitter!"💓

The best part is that they can choose to be something different next Friday or decide to stay the same.  The kids really loved it!  They said it was their favorite day so far in first grade.  (It was mine too 💙💙💙)

Class update

There are so many things I am learning about the class already.  Here are some highlights so far:

  • Chance is going to have a baby sister soon.  Her name will be Evie!
  • Jackson K is having his birthday party this weekend! He is very excited to celebrate!
  • Toula is going to watch the Solar Eclipse Monday at the park with her family!
  • Mrs. T had a birthday party at her house this weekend!  Her daughter Abby turned 13!
  • Gianna stayed the night with her grandparents 3 nights in a row this week!
That's all for now!  I hope my other fellow educators are also having great starts to the year!  Is there anything that you always do to start the year off right?  I'd love to hear it in the comments!  


PEACE
~Shelly





No comments:

Post a Comment