Tuesday, May 17, 2016

A note about assessments and a class update

There's one and a half more days left!  ONE AND A HALF!!  I am so excited and sad at the same time!

I didn't get a chance to blog about assessments last week, but we have SO many things to assess for all year long, and the end of the year gives parents a final picture of how their student has done in first grade.  So, I try to be as specific and accurate as possible to give them credit for all of their success this year!

In first grade, I find that the very best way to assess is through groups or one-on-one conferencing.  I do this in all academic areas!  As you can imagine, a paper-pencil test does not meet the needs of most first grade students!  Here's why: You have to be able to READ in order to take a written test! Now, while most of my students CAN read ;), they are not at the level to where they can read, comprehend, and understand the vocabulary behind the words of the tests.  Written tests drive me crazy because kids will often get an answer incorrect, when all the while, they truly DO understand the concept, but just got confused on the wording on the test.  THIS IS A MATH TEST, NOT READING TEST PEOPLE!  Let me tell you, no matter how many times I read the directions and reread (and reread and reread) them, they still need me to come over and read them again (and again and again).  Now is a great time to give a huge shout out to Mrs. Meloche (my math push in for Title 1).  Without her, I would never be able to assess and run all over the room like crazy trying to read the directions!!!  Written tests just aren't best for 6 & 7 year olds!! I can't stress this enough!!!

Anyway..  (stepping off my soapbox).... in order to assess in math, I assess students in stations.  I typically do a math workshop approach to math anyway - 3 stations that rotate.  I teach the main lesson, Mrs. Meloche teaches a part 2 or review of existing concepts, and station 3 is the game station.  I love it!!  

Assessing Students in Stations (sometimes referred to as ASS day :)) is just what it sounds like - pulling a group, having them show you and explain to you their thinking behind their answer so you can give them an accurate grade.  Here's a video that shows how I assessed Kaylee on measurement.  She is supposed to be able to measure a space or object using objects (paper clips).  To bump it up, I wanted her to know and explain how she used good measuring skills to do so.





I've done my obtrusive assessments this way now for 4 years and it's the best way to see where your kids are!  You should try it! :) (Not my idea - props to my old teaching partner, Rachel Haug)!!!

Here's some of our big news!

  • Max lost his first tooth last night and the tooth fairy came!  He got one dollar!!
  • Bently got a filling today :/
  • Lillian is not allowed to take any more "prizes" home from the drawing.  HA!
  • Knox's aunt Wendy kicked cancer's butt and had her last treatment! Yay!
  • Keigen is going to the Cardinals game tonight!  
  • Kindergarten came over today to see what first grade will be like! <3




No comments:

Post a Comment