Tuesday, May 24, 2016

"Teach with your heart. The rest will fall into place." My thoughts as the school year has ended.

Today I officially finished cleaning my room to get it ready for summer repairs and cleaning.  This is something that I usually take my time with because I like to make sure everything is cleaned, organized, and ready to just roll out for the beginning of the next school year.  I usually shed a few tears when taking down my classroom because it all just seems so empty.  A classroom is really pointless without little 47-inch-tall bodies to fill it.  So I reminisced when I took down some things.

 Like this pic of Ashton and I with our quote for our first graders.  I love her and cherish our partnership!

Or this one...

 Hand-made pom poms by Aunna during the week of the Spirit Squad performance.  Such creativity.  These may just be paper pom poms to you, but to me, they remind me of how shy Aunna was to dance with the Spirit Squad and how hard it was for her to join in and dance with us.  I remember Ms. Lafeber working with her during every practice to try and get her to do the dance with us.  Then, that night, we found out that if she wasn't right in the front, that she would dance.... AND SHE DID!  *tear* - Success!


Or this - A card from Keigen from teacher appreciation.  He loves soccer.  I know that he will succeed in his life if he keeps up with sports.  I remember how his mom cried during his parent teacher conference when she heard him read.... my heart...is full!! <3


For me, teaching isn't about mastering the skills taught or getting to the next reading level (those things are great and usually happen ;) ), but teaching is MUCH MUCH more than that.  It's about the relationships built and the growth that is made.  It's also about hurting for some kids.  Sometimes being a teacher means you carry so many burdens on you.  I usually carry those burdens and pray and worry about them at night or even over the summer.  I WORRY.  A LOT.  I wonder how many of my kids won't have enough food to eat this summer.  I wonder how many kids will stay home all by themselves while their parents are at work.  I wonder how many kids will actually read a book this summer....  It's hard to be a teacher sometimes!  Sometimes I am the only one who can truly appreciate the growth and small successes they've made, but they're there! Sometimes I am their only advocate. That is what makes my job truly special.

I also took down all my classroom pictures.  When I took them down, I tried to remember each child by name.  It amazing how many kids I've had an impact on after 8 years in the classroom. I also am reminded of teachers that I've impacted.  I have had 3 student teachers, 6 different teaching partners, and just gotten close with so many teachers in the building. Being a mentor and going through the emotions that teachers go through is a truly inspiring and a rewarding experience. It's also amazing how many kids I only had for a short time before they moved schools.  Time is so precious!



So, I know that many teachers brag and talk only about how they love summer (and trust me, I DO!!!) and they post on social media all the fun things they get to do over the summer :).... but behind that break (mentally and physically), is a teacher who is FULL.  Full of love, full of regret, full of worry, full of excitement, and full of anticipation for a much needed break!  They get a fresh start so that they can teach with their full HEART for next school year.

My motto is "Teach with your heart.  The rest will fall into place."

I plan to blog over the summer with some ideas and things that I anticipate for next school year.  So stay tuned!  Thanks for being readers of my blog experience this school year.  It's been REAL! <3

It's been an awesome year classroom...
Until next year...

Lights off.

Silence.

One last look.

Close the door.


~Mrs. Trauterman

No comments:

Post a Comment